Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Allergies and Hummingbirds - 11 May 2022

Sneezing and a bit of watery eyes are my classic symptoms for allergy responses.  For the last 1-2 weeks, I have had intermittent episodes of sneezind and watery eyes.  I just finished moving some of the felled trees from the backyard to the wood rack behind the garage, and I am sneezing.  About two weeks ago, we had a massive pollen release, probably from the western red cedar trees with contributions from others.  I say massive because there was a coating of yellow on everything.  The black asphalt of the driveway became brownish.  The black enamel of the BBQ became brownish and took on a crust after a cook.  Cars were covered in yellow dust.  It was bad, but I did not react.  Well, maybe a little, but nothing serious.  After moving the firewood, I am stuffed up and sneezing.  It is not as bad as some of the November episodes in Chicago and Boston, but it is worse than normal in Seattle.

On a more positive note, I saw two hummingbirds at the feeder today and they were each comfortable in the presence of the other.  Normally, two hummingbirds would be ballet-fighting over the feeder and only one would remain, however these two were clearly traveling together.  The second part of the surprise is that the hummingbird population took a drop in February or March down to one-a-week or so.  The population is now rising again.  It is still low - about one a day - but that is well above the one-a-week rate that I was adapting to.  Nice to have them back.


No comments: