Sunday, January 07, 2024

Books I Read in 2023 (sez Kindle) - 7 January 2024

Reading books had fallen off my list.  I was reading lots on the Internet and lots of magazine articles, but had rather dropped books.  This was not a particular plan, but I have long been a reader but I dropped significantly.  When COVID hit, it got even worse, worse to the point that it worried me.  Somehow, I was viewing reading as a Bad Thing, a Poor Way To Spend Time.  I will blame a boring, unrewarding job and the isolation of COVID (which are probably proxies for something deeper).  

In response, I resolved to read more.  I used the innate accounting of Kindle to keep track and I pretty much gave up on paper books.  Some would say I am behind the curve, but I have always liked the physical sense of holding a book and turning the pages, so moving to a Kindle was quite a revolution for me.

So to recap 2023, Kindle says I set a goal of 30 books (I did), of which I read 48.  Not bad.  As of 7 Jan 2024, I have read for 90 weeks in a row ( 17 April 2022 - 6 Jan 2023, inclusive) and have a continuous daily reading streak of 154 days.  I object to the 154 days because of the way that I believe that Kindle works.  I could complain to Amazon and suggest they add a feature to give readers a way to edit the days-read statistics, but it is simply not worth the effort to them or to me.  My complaint about Kindle comes from my experience as a traveler.

My experience suggests that Kindle only counts days-read when you are in WiFi or cellular contact.  If you are out of contact, it does not matter how much or when you read, Kindle does not count it.  There are a couple of 1-2 day gaps in my record as kept by Kindle, and these happen to be travel days, days when we were out of the US and out of WiFi range.  Furthermore, I am not convinced Kindle handles time zones correctly, a sort of Kindle jet lag, but I do not have very much experimental data on that claim; the no-WiFi-no-cellular bug is more obvious.  As a result of Kindle's behavior, I claim my reading-days streak is much longer than Kindle reports.  So be it.  I will work on the weeks-read streak because it is unlikely I will be out of WiFi or cellular service for an entire week.

List of books I finished in 2023:
  1. Hide, Tracy Clark
  2. Number Go Up, Zeke Faux,
  3. The Spy Coast, Tess Gerritsen
  4. The Crossing (Bosch Legacy), Michael Connelley
  5. The Burning Room, Michael Connelley
  6. Black River, Matthew Spencer
  7. Slow time Between the Stars, John Scalzi
  8. Just out of Jupiter's Reach Nnedi Okorafor
  9. The Long Game, Ann Leckie
  10. Falling Bodies, Rebecca Roanhorse
  11. Void, Veronica Roth
  12. How it Unfolds, James S.A. Corey
  13. Lookin gGlass, Andrew Mayne
  14. slow Horses, Mick Herron
  15. Agent to the Stars, John Scalzi
  16. Stargazer, Anne Hillerman
  17. Spider Woman's Daughter, Anne Hillerman
  18. Eternity, Greg Bear
  19. Eon, Greg Bear
  20. The Reversal, Michael Connelly
  21. The Brass Verdict, Michael Connelly
  22. The Lincoln Lawyer, Michael Connelly
  23. Sharpe's Revenge, Bernard Cornwell
  24. Sharpe's Rifles, Bernard Cornwell,
  25. Going To The Sun
  26. the Black Box, Michael Connelly
  27. Desert Star, Michael Connelly
  28. Noumenon
  29. Dark Sacred Night, Michael Connelly
  30. Quantum, Patricia Cornwell
  31. Fields of Fire, Marko Kloos
  32. The Overlook, Michael Connelly
  33. Kaiju Preservation Society, John Scalzi
  34. The Drop, Michael /connelly
  35. Abadoon's Gate, James S.A. Corey
  36. 9 Dragons, Michael Connelly
  37. Caliban's War, James S.A. Corey
  38. Leviathan Wakes, James S.A. Corey
  39. Red Moon, Kim Stanley Robinson,
  40. Murder Theory, Andrew Mayne
  41. Under Enemy Colors, S. Thomas Russell
  42. Echo Park, Michael Connelly
  43. The Closers, Michael Connelly
  44. The Narrows, Michael Connelly
  45. Lost Light, Michael Connelly
  46. City of Bones, Michael Connelly
  47. Bandwidth, Eliot Peper

No comments: