Monday, February 07, 2022

Espresso and Preparing for Spring - 7 February 2022

Espresso machines have proven to be more complicate that I thought.  And the last couple days have had sunny spots that broke out of the pattern of rain.  I used the sunny bits to get some yard work done.   

I recently came into the possession of an older espresso machine made by La Pavoni, a manual machine called the Professional.  It is an advancement over the prior machine called the Europiccola by adding a pressure gauge, a drip tray, and a wand for steaming milk.  The particular machine was purchased in about 1980-1990 from a store in San Francisco CA that has since closed.  To test the machine, I need to get a drip tray and a portafilter-basket combination.  The drip tray should be simple (about $30) but the portafilter is proving to be harder to find.  It seems a design change was made in the closing days of 1999 and that affects the size of the portafilter.  The "pre-millennial" units have a 49mm portafilter while the Millennial units have a 51mm portafilter. I may have my acquisition date wrong because I think I have a 51mm unit, but I am not sure what to measure.  At $80, I am not in a hurry to make a speculative purchase.

There are some stickers on the bottom with potentially useful information.  The readable sticker gives the name of the retail shop, the one that has since closed.  The hard-to-read sticker admits the Professional name and a few other details, but not a serial number, model number, or date of manufacture.  I am in the process of opening the base to see if there is anything inside that admits to a date or identifying number. 

I do not actually need another espresso machine, but I would like to get this one working on general principles.  It was a fine device when manufactured and has many years of life remaining.  I can say that now because I have not examined the state of the internals.

We did have snow recently, but it is since gone.  It was a significant amount for this area - six to eight inches - and it shut down a lot of activities in the area, but it melted within about three days and was followed by a week of nice weather (see earlier posts about snowshoe trips).  The routine winter rains have resettled over the area but we still get "sun breaks", some as long as a day.  I use these breaks to get out, address garden tasks, and fill up the compost bin.    For reference, I think the compost bin has an official volume of 96 gallons and gets picked up each week (mostly).  In addition to yard waste, we are able to throw in food waste, so it is busy all-year round. The contents go to a professionally operated compost facility.  Back to our story.

One day, I pruned the roses by our back deck and filled the compost bin with trimmings (a climbing rose).  Other days, I have pruned the hydrangea shrubs we have scattered about.  I have lost count, but there are at least six, with sizes that were 6-8-feet-plus in diameter.  I also pruned some of the large rhododendron shrubs.  In the summer, I chip them into mulch, but because the winter ground is so soft, it is hard to get the chipper to the work areas, so they go off to the commercial compost pile.  More recently, I have trimmed back many of the ferns, especially along the walkway behind the garage and house.  Today, I pruned the apple tree and the holly.  I have cut back the holly more times than I can count; it is a vigorous tree.  I am pretty sure it is a volunteer.  Usually lurking among the plants are blackberry canes, so I must be sure to wear leather gloves.  I got ahead of myself this weekend.  After filling the compost bin with hydrangea trimmings, I got a second load from the apple tree, so the bin will be full again as soon as they haul away the hydrangea contents.  I may have to get out the chipper.

While I am on the topic of landscaping, I am glad that I do not yet have to mow.  The grass is growing, but growing slowly, so I can postpone mowing.  I have a spiffy new mower - battery powered and self-propelled - but I would rather not start the mowing season.  Further, I have spread some grass seed to fill in the muddy patches and I want to do a run with the dethatcher to get out more moss.  This is proving to be another good year for moss (that is - if you are the moss).  The demoss treatment for the roof has worked well, and we shall reapply later this year to stay on top of the problem.  I should find out more about the materials used so that I can apply them at Keats.

No comments: