Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Siriously - 15 February 2022

After a trial period of three months, after repeated hounding, and with a final offer, I have succumbed to SiriusXM.

My then-new car came with a trial subscription to SiriusXM.  It was free (or included), so I gave it a try.  It had come with a rental car and  I had enjoyed that little experience, so I figured it would be something useful to listen to on those long highway drives.  During the trial, my actual results were mixed.  There were spots where service faded out.  I was not really surprised by the tunnels and overpasses, but driving down tree-lined roads seemed to be a problem.  In particular, there is a stretch of a nearby arterial, an uphill bit with overhanging trees, that repeatedly faded out.  At the end of my free trial, I decided that the value simply was not there.  The situation was compounded because COVID hit, and my time in the car dropped dramatically.  I will soon work out the numbers, but my daily car driving went to the odd trip out, so the implied value of the SiriusXM service dropped.  I let the free trial drop.

In December, I received a three-month trial offer from SiriusXM.  As it did not require a credit card, I was free of the automatic-sign-up problem and I took it.  I have been trying it in the car, and it has been OK.  Initially, there was a lot of Christmas music and then I switched over to Beatles and Oldies with a bit of Jazz.  It has been OK, but the fading seems to be unchanged (that same hilly bit on the nearby arterial continues to fade).  However, SiriusXM is branching out and now has a streaming service that works through the SiriusXM app and through Amazon Alexa.  That is a nice addition, and I am getting rather addicted to the capability.  

The final straw came when SiriusXM offered me a final-final-final deal:  five bucks a month for a year, plus the "premium" service (I think that means the streaming), and a free Amazon Alexa device.  Although I do not need yet another Alexa device, that basically makes the offer free, so I bit.  I have subscribed for a year.  We shall see where this leads us.  I did set a reminder for about 12 months from now so that I remember to make a decision about renewal.



 

No comments: