Friday, March 18, 2022

Masking protocols - 18 March 2022

 Across Washington, the COVID-defense masks are no longer required in most areas.  We spent months (years?) dealing with mask mandates, finally learning to remember to wear them and now - poof! - gone.  We spent uncounted dollars experimenting with various designs and quality, finally settling on some cone-like N95 masks.  Early on, the masks were nearly a dollar each for disposables and the price has dropped dramtically (less than $0.25 each).  We have learned how to air them out for reuse.  All that is now by the wayside.  Or is it?

While the state no longer requires masks, a new Omicron variant is growing in the world.  China seems to be suffering and the maps show that Japan is stressed.  There are areas of the map showing some success over the virus, but I believe that there are agencies of note that are faking the numbers.  Florida reports numbers similar to or better than Washington (state), and that is simply not believable.  But I was talking about masks.

I have decided that I will continue to wear a mask routinely in public areas.  With people I know, I can make an informed choice to wear or not wear a mask, but for the public areas where I have little or no knowledge (generally indoors, but specifically stores), I will continue to wear a mask.  This raises the question - what if someone accosts me about my mask?

I initially thought of a couple of responses.  Silence has merit; just ignore the bozo.  Unfortunately, some of the bozos will not be ignored, they will continue to press their case in the face of silence, and they will not be disuaded.  I thought about responding, "my body, my choice", but that gives a mistaken impression of support for those who refused to wear masks when they were mandated.  And there is the problem that many of the bozos will not understand.  I thought about saying "condition of my parole" as a humorous response, but many bozos are humor-impaired.  

After further consideration, I have decided that I will take surreptitious looks to the left and the right, then quietly say "facial recognition" in a knowing tone of voice.  I feel this is sufficiently mocking of the Qanon folks and it is positive.  Those outside the bozo and Qanon communities will understand the joke.  I hope.


 


No comments: