Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Excitement in the Backyard: Septic extension - 23 November 2021

This work was done a while ago, but I am documenting it today because I only just pulled the photos from the camera (phone?).

When the septic pumper was here, he pulled out the filter in the septic tank that protected the lines in the leach field.  He was very careful, warning me in advance, but the filter moreorless fell apart upon removal.  I think I noted that there were three plastic (nylon?) rods that heald together the individual stack plates of the filter.  The nuts holding these failed.  The guy offered to install a $500 replacement filter, but also described the repair process.  I went for the repair. I got three "all-thread" rods of stainless steel with six of those nylon locking nuts.  The idea is to replace the failed plastic rods with steel rods that will last.  

After I got back from the hardware store, I hosed down the filter in an effort to clean it.  I was mostly successful, but let us be real - there is no way to "clean" this thing.  I wore gloves to remove the failed rods and install the new ones.  I had put three of the locking nuts on the three rods in the kitchen (when everything was clean from the store).  That was a challenge because - no surprise - the locking nuts locked up.  As you might imagine, this foreshadows the trouble I was about to have in the backyard, assembling the repair for the filter.  I tried and tried, but could not get the bottom locking nuts on the rods, so I went back to my stash of nuts and bolts, grabbed four and used them.  I double-nutted one of the rods as a safety and then put the reluctant on the bottoms of the rods as best I could as a double-safety. 

In the photo, you see the repaired filter insert to the left, the receiving column inside the septic tank in the center, and the silo lid on the right.  For sanitary reasons, I used a loop of rope to lower the filter core back into the filter housing in the tank.  Once it was all settled, I put the lid back in place and screwed it closed.

For future reference:  the screws in the lid are Robertson, likely #2 or #3.  There are four at about the cardinal points. 



No comments: