Monday, November 22, 2021

Working with Medicare and Social Security - 22 November 2021

After filing the right paperwork, I received notice from the Social Security Administration that I was confirmed as eligible for Medicare.  Medicare Part A (hospital) started April 2021, Part D (prescriptions) started (no date - but "can enroll"), and Part B (medical/out-patient) starts July 2022.

July 2022.  Wait a minute.  Why so late when Parts A and D were active?

About noon, I called the number in the letter, the 1-800-MEDICARE number.  I was on-hold for a while and then spoke to a nice woman; I did not catch her name.  She was generally helpful, but the computers were down, so she could not check any specifics.  She advised that I call back later, when the computers were back up.  OK.

About 2pm, I called 1-800-MEDICARE again.  After a long time on-hold, I was able to speak with Wanda.  Wanda was rather the opposite of the first woman.  Wanda was not very helpful.  In summary, she said that I had called Medicare and needed to call Social Security.  She did not accept that the letter had me call Medicare - that was not going to be her problem.  As the computers were back up, I asked for my Medicare number.  She said I had to have a reason.  I told her that I had not received my card with the number and we were in the midst of the enrollment period, so I needed my number.  That seemed to satisfy her and she put me on-hold.  I eventually connected with Greg.  Greg was very helpful and gave me my number.  It took a while, but it worked.

About 2:30, I called Social Security at 1-800-772-1213.  I spent my time on-hold and was connected with Sarah.  She listened to my story and looked at the records.  To her assessment, I had been put in the general enrollment for Part B in July 2022 rather than special enrollment for new Part B people.  She said that I needed to call the Social Security Bellevue office.  I needed to ask them to put me in the special enrollment category.

About 3pm, immediately after I got off the line with Sarah, I called the Bellevue Social Security office at 1-866-574-2323.  I was on hold for about 28 minutes and SS-Bellevue dropped the call.

About 3:30pm, I called SS-Bellevue back.  I was on hold for about 25 minutes and I got a recording announcing that they could not connect me to an agent, advised me to call back again, and hung up.

The Bellevue office closes at 4pm.

So I spent literally hours on the phone to get nothing.  Well, OK, I finally have my Medicare number, but that was not the main purpose of the day.

I wil lbe back on the phone tomorrow at 9am to the Bellevue office to fix this.

No comments: